Complete History with our Tourist Route
Tourist Route - Pinhal d'El Rei D. Dinis
D. Dinis Pine Forest
Its medieval foundation comes in the movement of the Christian reconquest to Muslims, played by the first Portuguese king – D. Afonso Henriques. It was precisely in the dynamics of territorial conquests to the foundation of the kingdom of Portugal, the King Conquistador had built the Castle, in the first half of the twelfth century.
This was definitely the starting point for the intensive settlement of the region of Leiria.
After the founding of the Castle, with the increase in population, the village expands outside the walls. In 1545 it is elevated the City and Diocese.
The surrounding landscape is strongly marked by extensive pine forests that extend to the Atlantic coast. The reign of King Dinis (1285-1324) became famous for various works in Leiria, underlying the nickname “Farmer” – sowing the “Pinhal de Leiria” and the draining of marshes on the banks of Lis for agriculture, giving rise the fertile valley that extends from Leiria to its mouth.
Marinha Grande is a recent human occupation, compares with neighboring cities like Leiria and Alcobaça; it is born with the industrial initiative of William Stephens, sponsored by the Marquis of Pombal, who partnered with plenty of wood and sand here create the glass industry that made the strength of the village – which later came to lead the industry plastics and molds. It is dated 1776 stone landmark, which today can be visited at the Glass Museum, with the inscription: “By order of His Majesty all the logs do Pinhal who are in a league the around this framework belong to the Glass Factory.”
Born with the Industrial Revolution, the Great Navy was one of the great centers of political movements associated with the emancipation of the proletariat. The greatest symbol of this socio-political position is that the Great Navy have taken the lead in the uprising of January 18, 1934 against the II Republic, having been here that forces loyal to Salazar’s government found greater opposition.
Marinha Grande was a city on March 11, 1988.
The Glass Museum is housed in the Palace Stephens, Neoclassical inspired building, built in the second half of the century. XVIII and classified of public interest.
This palace was the former residence of the English industrialist William Stephens, who in 1769 obtained through Royal Charter, the restoration of the Royal Navy of the Great Glass Factory.
Created by decree law in 1954, the Glass Museum is inaugurated on December 13, 1998, the President of the Republic, Jorge Sampaio, the year in which the city of Marinha Grande celebrated 250 years of glassmaking.
Hours: Tuesday to Sunday, from 10 am to 6 pm (closes from 1 pm to 2 pm).
Price: € 1.50. Free admission: up to 10 years. Discounts for students and seniors.
Snake Pines and Other Species
The beauty of the Pine Forest offers a tranquility and quiet in contrast to the hectic everyday urban life. Therefore, with the construction of the bike path, between Marinha Grande and the beach of S. Pedro de Moel, it is increasingly common to see the whole family bike to pace, through that huge green sea.
S. Pedro de Moel
São Pedro de Moel is a place belonging to the city, parish and county of Marinha Grande, Leiria district. According to Census 2011, residing in this place 389 people. It is fully inserted into the Pinhal de Leiria, just south of the mouth of the Ribeira de Moel. The beach here is largely existing families to relax and enjoy vacation during the summer period.
The sea water is cold and usually busy, but usually allow bathing. It is regularly used for surfing and bodyboarding. For those who enjoy outdoor sports, there is a tennis court, and several bike paths. On the beach there is a playground, typically with two volleyball nets.
There are several hotels, restaurants, cafes and bars to accommodate tourists, as well as two campsites.
Rei D. Dinis and Rainha Santa Isabel Statue
As points of interest we have in the north, following the coastline, the Penedo da Saudade – high cliff cut plumb – with which is the Penedo da Saudade lighthouse, then the Concha Beach and just after the Old Beach, extensive beach extending to Pedrogão beach, past the beach of Vieira and the mouth of the River Lis. On the beach Old flows into the creek Moel, with picturesque and densely margins arbonizadas.
Inside the pine forest in the district of São Pedro de Moel, there are several parks extremely nice picnic, as well as the famous “Return of the Seven” and “Return of the Five”, which are drives paths that mix sea, pine forest and beach, with pure forest, springs, rivers and streams.